“It’s not bad for you, dude. It’s all natural. It’s just plant materials, so it can’t hurt you,” a friend whispered in Dave’s ear. Unfortunately for Dave, he believed his friend and they spent the next hour smoking Spice.
The seizure Dave suffered a little while later certainly proved his friend wrong.
Spice, or synthetic cannabis, is neither natural nor safe. It does contain dried plant materials, but the active ingredients are actually man-made chemicals that are sprayed onto the plants. The resulting substance is very potent and has effects that are up to ten times stronger than natural marijuana.
Spice, also known as K2 and hundreds of other street names, can cause damage to every single system in your body. Due to its synthetic nature and its unregulated manufacturing, one batch of this drug usually contains very different ingredients from the next. What that means is that users can never be sure exactly what they’re getting or what health risks are in store. Anything from dizziness to death are possibilities.
What we can be sure of is that some level of risk is always certain with synthetic cannabis. We also know that Spice causes serious damage, some of which is permanent. Take a look:
- Brain damage: Spice binds with certain receptors in your brain and causes unhealthy re-wiring. It can cause everything from decreased attention span to seizures and strokes.
- Lung damage: Inhaling this potent poison wreaks havoc on your lungs. Your tender lung tissues can be permanently damaged by these noxious chemicals.
- Kidney damage: The CDC reports that using Spice can injure the kidneys – it may even result in complete kidney failure.
- Seizures: Users of Spice may suffer seizures because the synthetic substance releases such strong and volatile chemicals into your central nervous system.
- Weak immune system: Spice can make you susceptible to additional dangers, like weakening your immune system. That means it’s more likely you’ll become sick and infected by a virus or bacteria.
- High blood pressure: Elevated blood pressure can cause blood clots in the arteries leading to your brain. The result is blocked arterial blood flow – a condition that’s directly responsible for strokes. High blood pressure can also weaken your brain’s blood vessels and trigger strokes.
- Heart attack: Spice may also be more than your heart can handle. The synthetic chemicals cause your heart to race, increasing blood pressure and reducing blood flow to the heart. This can cause damage to the heart muscle itself or trigger a heart attack.
Don’t Trust Word-of-Mouth
Considering all the documented damage Spice inflicts, Dave’s friend was clearly misinformed. This drug is a high-risk substance that puts all your physical systems in danger. If only Dave had known…
Additional Reading: Five Reasons Spice is a Dangerous “Last Resort” Drug
Image Source: iStock