UNETHICAL, SLOPPY, AND HARM CAUSING CARE.
I had a loved one spend 5 tragic days in Sacramento location's detox. Mistake.
It is of my opinion that when the medical director of a treatment facility is off site (because apparently they only communicate via skype), there is a lack of accountability and oversight which results in terrible care. You want some proof? Keep reading.
1. One ten minute skype session with a doctor throughout the entire stay with a poor connection, and no questions answered.
2. An unnecessary prescription for Seroquel - which is a very heavy antipsychotic that is not recommended for insomnia - and my family member did not even complain of sleep issues but apparently its protocol. When the staff was asked if it were safe to take in combination with the detox meds he was prescribed, he was told "I'm not sure exactly. You may have to wait an hour or so? But I am going to go ahead and give it to you anyway." Are you kidding? You, as a staff member in a medical treatment facility aren't sure if you are giving a patient a potentially harmful medication combination - and you do it anyway?
3. The medication combination in fact ended up affecting my family member in a negative way - he told staff this - and they SENT HIM HOME with 25 100 mg pills.
3. No discharge plan was made. No encouragement to stay for residential. No follow up. Nothing. They basically drop kicked someone with a heavy opiate habit to the curb with nothing to arm himself against the disease. Except the Seroquel. Good job, guys.
4. A staff member told my family member that it was ok to "just smoke weed". NO AWARENESS OR EDUCATION ON CROSS ADDICTION. Giving a newly detoxed person the green light to trade substances because "weed isn't as bad" is ridiculous and harm causing.
5. Due to an error on Akua's part - my family member was left to deal with incessant phone calls and emails putting their mistake on him to correct. Right out of detox. Causing him unnecessary stress and anxiety. No one called to check in, or followed up about their empty promises for IOP help or doctors appointment. No one cared about him at all. They only cared that they got this TOTALLY SHADY document signed. He was asked to text a photo of some unsigned paperwork to a cell phone, potentially violating his HIPPA and confidentiality rights.
6. If for some reason after reading all this you are still considering Akua, ask for a copy of the financial agreement up front. See if you can figure out why they are saying they charge almost $4000/day for detox and then grant scholarships. Because I couldn't, and no one could tell me why it said that or what it meant. All I was told was its "just a document". Um. No. Its not lost on me that the total just happened to be the same amount that your average 30 day stay in residential would cost a private pay client. So what are you doing, Akua? Changing numbers in your Kipu system to get people to sign off to pay for treatment they didn't receive?
Akua is a clown show.