There are so many things wrong with this place. I will write a summary:
1. Shutting people off from the real world. Yes, some people need to sever ties to get clean but the fact is, having people hide from their life does not aid in recovery. This program puts people in an intensive 3 month bubble and then essentially thrown out in the real world without proper tools and coping mechanisms in place because they've been isolated. Most people I know relapsed immediately.
2. Forcing people to get on food stamps to supplement their budget while the higher ups there are driving Mercedes. It's lowering and degrading. If you do not get on food stamps, you're forced to pay on top of your stay money for food.
3. People getting sober are going to have issues. Taking them to a psychiatrist and medicating them when they haven't been clean for a week is silly.. You should not have 40 women in line for "meds" every night.
4. Nasty staff. There's not much else to say on that. Most of the staff, counselors, food staff and medical staff are rude and lower the tone dramatically.
5. Treating women like children. Making them write essays when a person left the light on. I know they say it's for "discipline" and establishing rules, but ... really. Come on.
Summary. The only way you will get clean is on your own and with the help of a supportive group - whether it be 12 step, friends or family. This program will not get you clean. The people that do stay clean after this program already made the conscientious choice to stay clean, and the Wayside House has very little to do with that.