Why Choose Treatment?
Drug abuse treatment programs provide valuable help to thousands of individuals struggling with drug misuse. Substance abuse of any kind affects people of all ages, genders and cultural backgrounds. Despite the large demographic variability, all of those suffering with addiction share one very important commonality—they need help!
For many, drug addiction treatment can mean the difference between life and death.
What Is Drug Abuse Treatment?
Normal daily functioning, including productive employment, good relations with family and loved ones, and avoidance of legal entanglements can be achieved with the assistance of effective substance abuse treatment.
Substance abuse programs of all types strive to break the cycle of compulsive drug seeking behavior and counteract the damages of continued drug or alcohol abuse. Treatment setting and type are highly variable and will depend largely on each individual’s specific situation and needs. For some, substance abuse recovery can be achieved with relatively short outpatient programs. Others might benefit more from longer duration residential rehabs.
This isn’t to say that all outpatient or inpatient programs are the same. Numerous types of treatment modalities might be employed in any outpatient or inpatient program—again, dependent on an individual’s specific substance abuse history and their demonstrated response to treatment. Furthermore, for many people, the chronic nature of substance abuse necessitates vigilant outcome monitoring and, possibly, multiple intervention attempts. However, with focus and attention, recovery is possible.
Types of Substance Abuse Treatment
Those seeking treatment for substance abuse would benefit greatly from an initial assessment or evaluation by a drug and alcohol addiction professional. Whether it’s a physician, psychologist, addiction counselor or other qualified individual with addiction treatment experience, the insight offered in terms of recommending an appropriate treatment type will prove invaluable to bolstering chances of a successful outcome.
Since the 1980s, the American Society of Addiction Medicine (ASAM) has availed its list of criteria (The ASAM Criteria or ASAM patient placement criteria) that can be utilized to help clinicians in matching patients with substance abuse programs using 5 broad categories or types of substance abuse treatment. The ASAM criteria emphasizes that treatment exists on a continuum, and that outcome monitoring both during and after treatment can determine whether a patient could benefit from more or less intensive treatment types that fall on the scale.
The cost of these programs can vary widely based on a number of factors, including type, length, location, and level of luxury. You may be able to locate free and low-cost treatment programs or state-funded rehab centers. In general, inpatient programs tend to be more expensive than outpatient programs. Inpatient treatment can cost anywhere from $200 to $900 per day, with lower cost per day for longer program durations. Outpatient, specifically intensive outpatient treatment, tends to cost anywhere from $100 to $500 per session, so the total price will vary by the length of the program and the frequency of sessions. Learn more about how to pay for rehab.
Our treatment support advisors can help with your research. Call us for free today at .
What Determines the Appropriate Drug Abuse Treatment?
As mentioned, effective drug abuse treatment isn’t a one-size-fits-all phenomenon. A highly variable patient population demands a more tailored approach to treatment.
Some of the variables that will determine just what type of rehab program is most appropriate include:
- Length of the drug or alcohol abuse problem.
- Type of substance used.
- Frequency/amount of use.
- Number of previous treatment attempts.
- The abuse of multiple substances.
- Co-existing or dual diagnosis psychiatric conditions.
- Co-existing or dual diagnosis behavioral addictions.
- Co-existing medical conditions.
- The need for medically assisted detox and withdrawal.
- The need for pharmacotherapy during recovery.
- The need for employment, family or legal counseling and/or assistance.
The National Institute on Drug Abuse (NIDA) has published an evidence-based guide (Principles of Drug Addiction Treatment: A Research-Based Guide) that provides more detail on these and other factors that can contribute, in part, to an effective and comprehensive drug treatment program.
Receive 24/7 text support at your convenience with American Addiction Centers. Our team is well prepared to advise on all things treatment and help you find the care you need. We’ve helped thousands recover from addiction and we can help you too.
What to Look for in a Drug Addiction Program
Locating a supportive program with services carefully matched to your needs will be a key step towards embarking upon recovery from drug and alcohol misuse. While the decision of drug abuse treatment type is best left to an addiction treatment professional, there are a number of factors to be considered in ultimately selecting a drug abuse treatment program.
Some important questions to ask include the following:
- Are the majority of staff doctors, nurses and counselors credentialed in addiction treatment or addiction medicine?
- Are there treatment center or practitioner reviews available to the public?
- How close to home will treatment take place? Will travel or transportation be necessary?
- Can I continue to work or have access to email, phone, and/or computers?
- Are there special programs available for different groups (e.g. teens, seniors, women, men, LGBTQ+, substance type, etc.)?
- Can I request a private room?
- Will my health insurance cover payment for this rehab or program?
- How can I supplement payment if insurance only pays for part of my treatment?
- Can treatment accommodate dual diagnosis issues?
- Are there medically assisted detox services available?
- Are specialized treatment modalities available, such as complementary and alternative medicine (CAM), or holistic treatment?
When it comes to choosing an effective drug abuse treatment program, it is important to find a facility that provides its patients with a full continuum of care.
For immediate drug abuse treatment, call our 24-hour toll-free helpline free at . A support specialist can assist in finding proven addiction treatment programs designed to help you take the steps to lasting recovery.
What’s Really Important to Recovering Users?
When considering a treatment program, there are many factors to take into account, and it can be confusing to try and prioritize which factors matter the most. According to research collected by Recovery Brands in 2016, people leaving treatment report that they would primarily examine a program’s financial options when considering different options.
Ranked close behind financial policies were the program’s offerings as far as:
- Room options.
- Recreational activities.
Other factors they considered important were residential policies like:
- Internet and phone availability.
Verify Your Insurance Coverage
Use the free and confidential form below to instantly run your exact insurance against all drug addiction rehab centers in the American Addiction Centers network. You may be covered for more than you think and you may be able to access treatment without insurance. Don’t hesitate to begin today.
Health Insurance Providers That May Cover Treatment
Recommended Drug and Alcohol Rehab-Related Articles
- Drug and Alcohol Relapse
- Drug and Alcohol Overdose
- Signs That Someone May Need Rehab
- Intervention for Drug or Alcohol Misuse
- Top-Rated Rehab Centers Near Me
- 30-Day Rehab Programs
- 3-Day, 5-Day and 7-Day Detox Programs
- Faith-Based Rehab Programs
- Non-Religious Rehab Programs
- Private Rehab Programs
- State-Funded Rehab Programs
- Using Health Insurance to Pay for Treatment