When considering inpatient treatment, there are generally 3 standard options: public inpatient rehab centers, private inpatient rehab centers, and luxury treatment centers. Both usually offer the same core elements—including counseling, access to medical care, and individualized care—but private and luxury drug rehab centers offer benefits that may not be available in other programs. In these programs, you’ll find a more robust offering of amenities and benefits that can enhance your treatment experience.
Since private programs are funded completely by admissions and tend to have more resources than public programs, their facilities and benefits are typically more desirable to those seeking both privacy and comfort as they work toward recovery.
What are Luxury Drug Rehab Centers?
Luxury rehabs are drug and alcohol addiction treatment facilities that offer high-quality treatment interventions in upscale, resort-style accommodations. The exclusive environments at luxury rehabs provide a safe, comfortable space to help people recover in privacy with minimal distractions.
In addition to evidence-based treatment like behavioral therapies, luxury rehab facilities typically offer a range of unique amenities, which may include fitness facilities, yoga classes, massage, art therapy, personalized meal plans, outdoor recreation, and more.
Treatment Offered at Luxury Rehab Facilities
Like other inpatient and outpatient facilities, private and luxury recovery centers utilize evidence-based approaches to comprehensively treat a wide array of substance misuse issues, ranging from alcohol to various drug addictions. Below are examples of the treatment approaches you may find at luxury rehabs:
- Medication management: Treatment medications are often used to help people recover from certain substance addictions like alcohol and opioids. Uncomfortable withdrawal symptoms and cravings can be difficult for many and these medications can help to ease those symptoms during detox. There are also medications to help with ongoing treatment and relapse prevention, like methadone for opioid use disorder.1, 2
- Matrix Model: The Matrix Model (MM) is a treatment approach commonly used to treat stimulant use disorders. Trained therapists engage with people in a way that mimics a teacher and coach relationship. Treatment is conducted in a way that promotes the person’s self-worth, dignity, and confidence. Studies show that people who participate in therapy that incorporates MM show reductions in drug use and improvements in their overall recovery.3
- Contingency management: Research shows approaches that use incentives and tangible rewards may help motivate people to stay abstinent. Vouchers that can be exchanged for money, food, movie passes, or other items are shown to work well among people in treatment, particularly among people who abuse heroin and cocaine. The vouchers start at low values but increase gradually as the person produces more and more negative urine samples.4
- Cognitive-behavioral therapy (CBT): This approach helps people in recovery recognize negative patterns of thinking that may be fueling drug abuse and drug-seeking behavior. CBT encourages a person to slow down and focus on maintaining an awareness of thought patterns associated with stressors that may lead them to use drugs or alcohol. When a person is aware of what situations and feelings trigger these thoughts, they can learn to avoid or react differently towards them.5
Often, an individual will enter alcohol or drug rehab with more than one issue that needs to be addressed, and it is common for individuals struggling with substance misuse to additionally experience significant mental health issues, known as co-occurring disorders or dual diagnoses. Fortunately, there is an increasing number of treatment centers equipped to handle these situations, some of which may include luxury rehab centers.
Effective addiction treatment should address both mental health disorders and addiction at the same time.7 If you’re looking for a luxury rehab facility and either know or suspect that you have a mental health condition, ask about the facility’s experience with treating co-occurring conditions.
What Can I Expect at a Luxury Rehab Center?
Throughout the world, there are a number of different private and luxury drug rehab centers. While each program will have a somewhat unique approach to treating substance misuse, a typical day at many luxury rehabs may include a similar schedule:
- Morning: The day may begin with breakfast followed by meditation or personal reflection and a check-in. If you are receiving medication, you may receive it in the morning. After this, you may go into a one-on-one therapy session, followed by yoga or a recovery skills group.
- Afternoon: Around noon, you may eat lunch, either as a group or in a private setting. After lunch, you will go into another counseling session in an individual or group setting. After this session, you might attend a gym or holistic therapy session (running, yoga, swimming, surfing, nature hike, acupuncture, massage, meditation). Depending on your medication schedule, you may receive another dose of medication.
- Evening: Dinner may be served around 5 pm, along with any required medication. Following dinner, you may have the option to attend a recovery meeting or do some independent reading. Generally, facilities have a “lights out” time where everyone is expected to be in their rooms for the night.
Benefits of Luxury Rehab Centers
Luxury drug addiction treatment programs often cost more than traditional inpatient facilities; however, the amenities offered and beautiful environment may help support a person in recovery. A few benefits may include:
- Lower staff-to-patient ratio. At these rehabs, you can generally expect to get more personal care than you might in a public program. Luxury programs may have an even lower ratio than other private programs.
- Amenities. Features of private programs will typically offer more unique amenities that can’t be found at other facilities. People who attend luxury rehabs may be treated to comfortable living quarters, private rooms, gourmet cuisine, and more.
- Holistic care. Many private and luxury drug rehab centers offer holistic or complementary-alternative therapeutic options to help enhance the wellness of the individual. Yoga, meditation, and acupuncture are just a few of the ways that high-end treatment centers improve the overall health of the individual by addressing the mind, body, and spirit.
Comparing Luxury Rehab Centers to Standard Treatment
Luxury centers offer many comforts and perks to ensure a comfortable experience, offering the highest level of comfort. Compared to standard treatment, these facilities go above and beyond in terms of benefits, comfort, and amenities.
Depending on the facility, you might find some or all of the following:
- Chef-prepared meals: Over time, drug and alcohol misuse can result in nutritional deficiencies. You may be offered nutritionally balanced, chef-prepared meals to help bolster your immune system, restore cognitive clarity, and promote overall health.
- Yoga: During recovery, people may experience feelings of stress, anxiety, and depression. Yoga not only helps relieve these symptoms, but it may also help improve a person’s mood and restore the connection to oneself.6
- Private rooms: Inpatient care requires that people live at the facility; however, some facilities may only offer shared rooms. Unlike many more standard facilities, in luxury rehab settings you often will get a private room where you can unwind after the day’s activity and get a good night’s rest, free from the distractions of a roommate. If it’s important to you, make sure to ask about the availability of these rooms ahead of time.
- Massage therapy: Massage is a great way to relieve stress, improve circulation, and provide you with the energy you need to give 100% to your recovery efforts. This offering is common in luxury rehabs.
- Art or music therapy. Luxury centers often have amenities to help people tap into their creative side as they recover.
Other features of treatment at one of these facilities may include:
- Nutritional counseling.
- Creative writing.
- 12-Step work.
- Group day trips.
- Eye Movement Desensitization and Reprocessing (EMDR).
- Relapse prevention therapy.
- Trauma therapy.
- Outdoor/nature activities, e.g., hikes.
- Child care.
- Pet care.
- Equine therapy.
- Guided imagery.
Where Are Luxury Centers Located?
Programs are located all across the country; however, many luxury rehab centers are located in serene, natural settings away from the busy city.
Locations such as Malibu, Palm Springs, upstate New York, and rural New Mexico are all home to these facilities. Remote locations offer tremendous privacy, a factor that’s often important to those who choose luxury treatment. The natural beauty of the facility location can also help inspire a sense of serenity and hope during treatment.
Insurance and Cost of Luxury Rehabs
The cost of a luxury treatment program varies depending on the facility and its location but is typically more expensive than outpatient or traditional inpatient settings. Because this kind of cost can be prohibitive for many people, more and more luxury rehab centers are now offering financing options to make the cost of treatment more accessible. Other options may include:
- Insurance coverage: Many insurance plans offer partial coverage for a stay in a rehab facility; however, check with your insurance provider as they may not cover all types of rehab facilities. You can call the number on the back of your insurance card to check what is and is not covered under your plan.
- Payment plan: If you are interested in a particular facility, you can call to see what types of payment plans they offer so that you can spread out the payments for treatment over time, which can alleviate the burden of a one-time lump sum.
Finding treatment is a courageous step toward creating a better life for you and your loved ones. If you’re ready to get help for drug or alcohol addiction, contact the caring team at American Addiction Centers (AAC). They are available 24/7 to hear your story and help you find a treatment that fits your needs including detox, outpatient or outpatient care, or a luxury rehab center. Call today to start your path toward recovery.
Insurance Providers That May Cover Luxury Treatment
Learn more about treatment with these health insurance providers: